|ualification Awarded||Master in Sustainable Energy Systems|
|Level Of Qualification||Master (2nd Cycle Degree)|
|Offered by||School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Frederick University Faculty of Pure and Applied Sciences, Open University Cyprus|
|Mode of Study||Distance Learning|
The Joint Master degree, offered by the Open University of Cyprus and the Frederick University in Sustainable Energy Systems is a taught multi-disciplinary international programme suitable for applicants from engineering, architecture, planning and other relevant backgrounds, intended to incorporate the latest developments not only in the international scientific field, but also in the European and national regulatory and legal framework. Students will also be acquainted with the required knowhow for monitoring and evaluating the energy efficiency of building systems, of buildings, of renewable and conventional energy systems and of indoor environmental quality conditions, in accordance to legal and best-practice requirements, so as to be able to carry out energy renovation, retrofitting and refurbishment projects. Furthermore, they will learn to evaluate, by means of applying standards and models, the environmental performance of buildings, as needed in order to implement the environmental labelling schemes.
The objectives of the programme are:
- tο develop detailed knowledge and critical understanding of the core skills in rational use of energy sources, conventional (oil & gas) and renewable ones, in the power generation field and in the energy management, in the energy design of buildings and in achieving high energy efficiency of new and existing buildings;
- to obtain an in depth comprehension of the economics of energy, including the security of supply aspects, environmental costs and other externalities;
- to develop detailed knowledge on the assessment of performance of buildings and power production sites;
- to develop and use a significant range of principal and specialist skills, techniques and practices;
- to provide the expertise demanded by the necessity to implement the range of European Directives and national legislative acts in the energy and building sector and in the efficient use of conventional and renewable energy resources;
- to be able to apply this knowledge directly to complex applications;
- to plan and execute a significant project of research, investigation or development in a specialist area within the energy sector, demonstrating extensive, detailed and critical understanding;
- to critically review existing practice and develop original and creative solutions to problems within the energy sector and the domain addressed by the programme, in corporating the marketing approach in order to capitalize on the solutions developed;
- to communicate and work effectively with peers and academic staff in a variety of tasks, demonstrating appropriate levels of autonomy and responsibility.
Key Learning Outcomes
With the completion of the programme the students are expected to:
- acquire skills and experiences necessary for engineers who will lead the fields oil & gas extraction, processing, storage and exploitation in efficient and clean power generation technologies, of rational use of energy, of renewable energy systems, of energy design of buildings and of evaluating and improving a building’s energy performance;
- become familiar with the content and philosophy of the European and global legislative framework on energy and tounderstand the processes and factors that lead to its development;
- understand the contemporary global, regional and local energy issues and develop systemic, critical and creative thinking about their impact on economic activities;
- become familiar with the procedures, instrumentation and analysis needed to enforce pertinent legislation, enhance the issuance of energy-related certification, and better facilitate the environmental labelling procedure and perform feasibility analysis;
- be able to use effectively state-of-the-art software tools for energy design of buildings, for dynamic simulation of the building’s performance, for the evaluation of thermal comfort and indoor air quality conditions and for the optimization of sustainable energy systems’ selection and sizing;
- become familiar with the processes followed for the development of energy, environmental and sustainability policies;
- be able to gather information about the main local and international funding opportunities for improving the energy efficiency of residential, commercial and public buildings and infrastructure;
- obtaining the necessary knowledge background so that they can become chartered in the professional chambers and association;
- be capable of using research results in education, within their professional environments and in society.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
The proposed MSc programme is developed in order to meet the emerging needs for education in the field of sustainable energy systems by providing the skills needed to key professionals, who are or will be active in the private sector, in governmental institutions and local authorities and as freelance professionals.
Specifically, the target group for the proposed programme will be:
- engineers who have recently completed their Bachelor studies and seek a higher and focused education before entering the market;
- professionals with experience in the field, who wish to reorient their career and place emphasis on the topics covered by the programme, as these reflect the latest developments in the energy and building sectors in Europe;
- professionals from public and semi-public organisations, whose work is related to the implementation of energy and environment related legislation and to the operation of the energy market;
- professionals from the power generation, the construction and the building materials industries.
Is this the right programme for me?
It is the ideal programme for you if:
- You are an ambitious individual who, for a variety of reasons, cannot take significant time out of your job to study, does not wish to relocate or visit the University campus for classes several evenings a week but, at the same time, wish to accelerate your career or increase your employability.
- You want to have greater flexibility over how, when and where you study for your post graduate programme
- You are a highly motivated individual with leadership skills and good academic performance who can work independently as well as in groups using online tools.