|Qualification Awarded||Master (MSc) in Information and Communication Technologies in Education for Sustainable Development|
|Level Of Qualification||Master (2nd Cycle Degree)|
|Offered by||School of Education|
|Mode of Study||Distance Learnin|
Our ICT in ESD Philosophy
The MSc. on “ICT in Education for Sustainable Development” is an interdisciplinary program that focuses on developing competence and skill on Education for Sustainable Development enabled byICTs delivered through distance learning.
- The course curriculum is driven by a learning paradigm that merges three theories of learning, namely: experiential learning, constructivist learning and transformative learning.
- Students have access to and a complete understanding of a vast array of virtual collaboration tools and related resources geared towards student-generated questions that drive the content, processes and methods embedded in the learning experience.
- The program reflects the realities of the global/local environments and provides foundational courses together with highly specialized modules in the area of ICT-enabling education for sustainable development.
- Activities are designed to meet students’ various learning styles and encourage them to experience personal change towards learning to live together sustainably.
- Students are engaged in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using the available digital and sustainable development resources.
- The flexible structure of our MSc. course delivered through a friendly online platform means that existing job or family commitments need not stop you from preparing for either a new career, upgrading your already work and/or aspire for further studies at the Ph.D. level.
- You will be challenged by a study program, taught by acclaimed academics and professional experts, and learn from your global fellow students – a truly international group – through teamwork, innovative technologies and supportive environment.
The program aims to:
- Use problem-based learning and service learning as methodologies for integrating sustainability issues in formal and non-formal education environments.
- Enhance knowledge for informed decision and policy-making on education for sustainable development issues.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the relationship between education policy and planning in the field of ESD; the institutional structures needed to support ESD policies; and the role of various actors and entities in shaping educational policy and change for sustainability.
- Enhance critical, analytical and integrative skills for developing ICT-enabled ESD curricula and training programmes.
- Produce professional experts on ICT-enabled ESD having the capacity to become reflective practitioners and agents of change, locally as well as globally.
- Offer a virtual learning environment supported by critical pedagogies in contextualising sustainability issues with innovative use of ICTs as means, as resources and as enabling transformative tools.
Key Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, you should be able to:
- Critically examine current trends in sustainable development and relate these to systems thinking and transformational change.
- Develop inter-disciplinary and cross-curricular thematic lessons plans integrating ICT and sustainable development issues.
- Critically examine dominant systems and paradigms as well as analyze complex sustainability issues, locally and globally.
- Deconstruct and reconstruct the conventional discourse of research methodology; embracing principles of empowerment, change agency, active participation and reflection in the research process.
- Explore how people culturally conceptualize, manipulate, transform and humanize their natural environments over time.
- Reflect critically on one’s own theories, values, beliefs, learning, practice and professional development.
- Develop ICT-enabled instructional materials and programmes which will foster the formation of positive values, attitudes and ethical behaviour towards sustainable human development.
- Formulate critical reflective questions; clarify values; envision more positive futures; think systemically; and explore the dialectic between tradition and innovation.
- Design interactive, engaged and immersive learning activities addressing ESD issues enabled by ICTs.
- Design and develop participatory video clips that raise awareness and advocacy for sustainability amongst participants and community members by applying transformative pedagogy, critical action research and appropriate technologies.
- Explore and gain understanding of cultural self-awareness, other culture awareness, and the interactive dynamics between the two in the context of sustainable leadership.
- Design and apply innovative approaches to teaching and learning for sustainability enabled through ICTs.
Delivery and Duration
- The program is delivered online and is based on the ECTS credit accumulation mode of study. Upon completion of 60 ECTS in courses and writing a thesis of 30 ECTS weight, the MSc Degree on ICT in Education for Sustainable Development will be awarded.
- The duration of the program lasts one and a half academic years (i.e. 3 semesters) for full time study or four academic years (i.e. 6 semesters) for part time study students.
- Program content is delivered by experienced international and in-house faculty through the University’s e-learning platform.
- The language of Instruction is English.